Elder Matthew Pena - North Carolina Charlotte Mission

Elder Matthew Pena - North Carolina Charlotte Mission
Matthew 5:16
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

Monday, August 26, 2013

New Email Today!!!

Dear Mom and Dad,

          Every thing is going fine so far. I have found adjusting to missionary life to be a little more difficult, but I know I will come around soon. I hope you will also get the letter I sent. It is from my first day here and I don't mention it in the letter, but we got rained on while we were biking to the church building to use their computers. We use Facebook for online proselyting. We also are using iPads, and we are one of the trial areas for it. There are only 5 other places in the world that get that privilege. Four in Utah and one in Arizona. The days of missionary's going around knocking on doors is going away. Now we rely on the local ward more then ever for referrals. While in the MTC I met a group that was going to Gilbert, so one person took a picture of my name tag in hopes they will see you guys and show you. 

The place I'm in is pretty nice, lots of trees and wooded areas, that I would absolutely love to go running through. I have been mostly just working out, and I figure that I will do that mostly, because we only get 30 minutes to work out in the morning. Its enough to get something out of it, if you work hard enough. Yes, I have been fed pretty well. Every night we have been fed by someone. Last night though, our dinner appointment cancelled on us, but another member fed us at the last minute. He was a member and his wife isn't, but she was still real nice to us. They made us bacon and eggs with grits which I have to say, I really like. But there was a lot of bacon and plenty of food it was so good. This southern hospitality, is kind of overwhelming. It does take some getting used to. Before I forget, I have passed by the house with the nascar.

One cool experience that I want to share with y'all is one morning my companion was going through the member list to find someone to go give a message to. He came across one name in-particular. He gave him a call and he answered which is a miracle in and of itself. We made an appointment and saw him that night. He was very happy to see us and said that when we called he was contemplating going back to church. He is inactive, and has not been to church in the last 10 years because his mother is not very found of the church, and he was living with her for awhile, but is now back on his feet. But this was just the thing that he needed, for both him and his son.

I love you all and I look foreword to hearing from y'all soon.

Love,

Elder Matthew Pena

No comments:

Post a Comment